How far to Romulus, Vulcan, Kronos, and Deep Space Nine from Earth
David Halpern
2004-07-22 00:33:57 UTC
Has there ever been any statements on how many light-years those
World's are from Earth in keeping with it being fiction even?

Thanks,

D.H.
Myrnag2555
2004-07-22 07:14:52 UTC
No.
John D. Goulden
2004-07-22 14:30:57 UTC
Kronos must be fairly close if Enterprise could get there in a reasonable
amount of time ("Broken Bow"). I also believe that in later episodes there
are references to Enterprise traveling further from Earth than any other
starship (but my memory is vague on this).
John Goulden
Sunbari1
2004-07-25 21:42:48 UTC
I think that Geoffry Mandel's excellent book "Star Trek Star Charts" is good
foundation.
Timo S Saloniemi
2004-07-26 08:47:31 UTC
Post by David Halpern
Has there ever been any statements on how many light-years those
World's are from Earth in keeping with it being fiction even?
Nothing on lightyear terms, unless one accepts what Gene Roddenberry
himself did and agrees that Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A, which is a real
star in a ternary system some 11 lightyears from Earth. However, the
40 Eri A thing has not been canonically confirmed anywhere...

To be sure, we have gotten canonical references to TRAVEL TIMES to most
of these locations. Earth to DS9 is at most a bit less than two weeks
by non-emergency speeds, as per several DS9 references; Earth to Vulcan
is four days at maximum Enterprise-nil-refit speed (which, unfortunately,
we do no know) as per a ST:TMP reference. Earth to Qo'noS is four days
at the maximum speed of NX-01 (which we do know to have been warp 4.5 at
the time). Earth to Romulus isn't this well established, though.

Noncanon distances are set for some of the cases other than Vulcan, too.
For example, the DS9 Technical Manual suggests DS9 is just some 50 ly
from Earth, and some of the maps in that Manual have been used in
actual episodes - but the distance references are *not* evident from
the maps that were actually seen on screen. One can take guesses,
though, based on such material - and the net and some bookstore shelves
do feature such guesses. Paramount of course refrains from slavishly
accepting any of these maps as "real", even when they stamp the word
"official" and the Paramount logo on the back cover.

Timo Saloniemi
Myrnag2555
2004-07-26 22:09:13 UTC
Wasn't that Blish?
Timo S Saloniemi
2004-07-27 09:35:04 UTC
Post by Myrnag2555
Post by Timo S Saloniemi
Nothing on lightyear terms, unless one accepts what Gene Roddenberry
himself did and agrees that Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A,
Wasn't that Blish?
Blish's books are among those that make the suggestion, but it was really
"made public" by Roddenberry's endorsement in a Sky & Telescope article (!)
in 1991. Before that, there was competition between 40 Eri and Epsilon Eri
in the novel/paraphernalia universe, and in a way, Epsilon was the more
"public" (if not necessarily the more popular) of the two.

Timo Saloniemi
David Halpern
2004-07-27 22:27:42 UTC
Post by Timo S Saloniemi
Post by Myrnag2555
Post by Timo S Saloniemi
Nothing on lightyear terms, unless one accepts what Gene Roddenberry
himself did and agrees that Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A,
Wasn't that Blish?
Blish's books are among those that make the suggestion, but it was really
"made public" by Roddenberry's endorsement in a Sky & Telescope article (!)
in 1991. Before that, there was competition between 40 Eri and Epsilon Eri
in the novel/paraphernalia universe, and in a way, Epsilon was the more
"public" (if not necessarily the more popular) of the two.
Timo Saloniemi
Any thank you again Timo as you are always a good source of information.

:) David Halpern